Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272306.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:23:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63072 00622


SU 6300 NW THE PARADE HM Naval Base Fire Station (Building No 1177) 774-1/29/245


Water tower with timber store below, then fire station, part now police offices. 1843-44, by (pt RS Beatson RE, strengthened by Fox, Henderson 1843, enclosed 1847; water tank removed 1950. Cast-iron frame supporting roof of iron plates; corrugated iron cladding. EXTERIOR: 2 stages, formerly with water tank on top. 3 x 13 bays. 2 tiers of columns with moulded caps and bases, lower ones bolted on to granite padstones, upper ones shorter, linked by segmental-arched beams with flat top flanges and pierced spandrels giving effect of double arcade. Oversailing bracketed gallery at top. Sides originally open, now infilled with corrugated iron and on west side having double board doors to fire- engine garages and tall over-lights with glazing bars. At south end, corrugated-iron lean-to. At north end, corrugated iron porch; 2 small- pane windows; cornice at level of lower columns capitals. Brick single- storey additions on east side. INTERIOR: two rows of columns with segmental-arched long and cross beams, the latter braced by inverted T-section beams with parabolic flanges; diagonal wrought-iron ties. Stone flag floor. HISTORY: the tower replaced a wooden structure built by Samuel Bentham for his salt water fire main laid round the Yard in 1800. The water tank held 840 tons of salt water, and the space beneath the tank was used for seasoning timber. A notable early example of a free-standing iron frame, related to Beatson's other iron-framed buildings at Portsmouth, the Chain Testing shop and No.6 Boat Store (qqv). (Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700- 1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 32, plate 26 ; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 414 ; Evans D: The Buildings of the Steam Navy: 1994: 6).

Listing NGR: SU6310400676


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of H M Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850, (1981), 32
Evans, D, The Buildings of the Steam Navy, (1994), 6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 414


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].