SOUTH OFFICE BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 1/88)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1272314
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
SOUTH OFFICE BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 1/88), MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH OFFICE BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 1/88)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:54:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH OFFICE BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 1/88), MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 62923 00572

Details

SU 6200 NE MAIN ROAD (South side) HM Naval Base 774-1/17/222 South Office Block (Building No 1/88)

GV II*

Offices and stores, now offices. Offices (west wing) 1786-89, store (east wing) 1789, probably by George White, Master Shipwright; linking block with archway 1840s. Red brick in English bond with ashlar dressings; rusticated granite and ashlar ground floor to centre- piece. Hipped slate roofs with brick stacks. PLAN: double-depth plan offices with spine corridors to Wend, E store, with 1840 central archway. 3-storey 4-bay centrepiece; 2-storey wings, west wing with basement, each of 17 bays with slightly projecting pedimented 5-bay centre. EXTERIOR: ashlar plinth, 1st-floor band, string above stepped dentilled brick eaves, flat coping to parapets, and cornices to pediments and centrepiece. Windows have sashes with glazing bars in reveals with flat brick arches and stone sills; oculi with radial glazing bars to pediments. Lead rainwater pipes with bulbous heads, dates 1787 and 1789, initials GR and crown. North elevation: left (east) wing has 2 wooden porches, that at centre having frieze with triglyphs and guttae, and flat roof. Centrepiece: wide central carriage arch and flanking pedestrian arches, all with keystones and voussoirs aligned to courses, right-hand archway now with door. 2nd-floor sill band and cornice below parapet. Flanking lateral stacks. Rear (south) elevation: as north elevation, but with C20 stair tower added at centre of left wing. 6-panel doors with overlights to right wing. Within throughway are Tuscan columns, distyle in antis; on east side at south end is a large entrance, now blocked, which has architrave with console- bracketed cornice. INTERIOR: west wing (the original offices) and central block have wall panelling, panelled doors and reveals, simply- moulded cornices, some original offices with fireplaces, dog-leg stair at east end of west wing with large-scantling stick balusters, columnar newels and ramped handrail. East wing (originally a store) has chamfered wooden columns and large-scantling beams, boxed in on ground floor which also has board- lined walls. Near centre of wing is closed- string straight-flight stair with bulbous columnar reveals, stick balusters, moulded handrail and board-lined stairwell with dado. HISTORY: the stores were added in the same manner as the offices, at the insistence of yard officers. The Admiral Superintendent's office has always been located in this building. Specialised offices were only built in the dockyards from 1750 (at Chatham), and this is the earliest surviving example, forming part of a distinguished composed group which manifests the concern in the dockyard for formal planning. (Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700- 1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 15, plate 11; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690- 1850: Aldershot: 1989: 47, 132; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 411).



Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476696
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of H M Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850, (1981), 15
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 47, 132
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 411

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].