CHURCH OF ST ALBAN THE MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1272353
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN THE MARTYR, BROOKE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ALBAN THE MARTYR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:16:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN THE MARTYR, BROOKE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31168 81781

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3181NW BROOKE STREET 798-1/102/117 (North side) 24/10/51 Church of St Alban the Martyr (Formerly Listed as: BROOKE STREET Church of St Alban)

GV II*

Church. Designed 1859, built 1861-62, architect William Butterfield. Chapel 1891 by CHM Mileham. Burnt out 1941 and restored 1959-61 by Adrian Gilbert Scott. Red and yellow stock bricks with stone dressings. Tiled roofs. 7 bays in Gothic style. EXTERIOR: very tall, wide, aisled church with short transepts abutting western tower with saddleback roof. Tower with projecting, gabled central window with a small turret over. To either side tall, narrow, Geometric traceried windows. Site restrictions forced a blank east wall. Entrance through south transept which forms a small chapel. In entry approach 'Jesus being Raised from the Dead', sculpture of 1985 by Hans Feibusch. INTERIOR: Scott's simple but dignified scheme replacing Butterfield's elaborate decoration. Tower opens into the nave by a great arch (Butterfield's). Arcade rebuilt with stone to lower levels, rendered above. Two-bay chancel with aisles of one bay and east wall covered by a mural, 'The Trinity in Glory', by Hans Feibusch, 1966. Stations of the Cross by Feibusch. Some painted decoration on ribs of ceiling. Cast-iron parclose screens to aisle chapels. West gallery with organ. Mackonochie chapel by CHM Mileham survived bombing, with stained glass 1885 and 1898 by CE Kempe; two stations of the cross 1912 by Ninian Comper. St Alban's was one of Butterfield's finest mature works, and remains a powerful composition. (Thompson P: William Butterfield: London: -1971).





Listing NGR: TQ3116881781

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476759
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14959/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].