CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272710.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:04:07.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 76940 41184
ORSTON CHURCH STREET
SK 74 SE
5/117 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, tower 1766. Restored 1889. Nave and north aisle restored 1914. Coursed and squared rubble, dressed stone and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Plain tile gabled and lead lean-to roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, 1766, has chamfered plinth and projecting quoins. All openings have round heads with projecting architraves, imposts and keystones. North and south sides have each a single window and above it, keystoned round window. South side has clock above round window. West side has panelled door. To its right, inscription "TL TB". Above, datestone inscribed "Jno Kettleborrow/Thos Taylor/Churchwardens 1766." Above, again, on each side, a bell opening. Return angle to north has late C20 lean-to outbuilding. Nave clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has coved eaves and crenellated parapet. North side has late C20 side wall stack and 3 triple mullioned leaded casements with square heads. South side has 3 similar windows, restored. North aisle, C14, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, coved eaves and coped gables, one with cross. North side has 2 buttresses and 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. To east, 2 triple lancets with unusual Decorated tracery, restored, with hood moulds and mask stops. East and west ends have each a triple lancet, early C14, with unusual geometrical tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, coved eaves, moulded coped gables and crenellated parapet. 2 pairs of corner buttresses, and 2 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs. Buttress to east has incised sundial. To right of south porch, 2 triple lancets with unusual Decorated tracery, restored, with hood moulds and mask stops. East end has much restored late C15 triple lancet with cusped round heads and panel tracery. West end has a similar triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and transomed panel tracery. Both have hood moulds and mask stops. Chancel, C13, 4 bays, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, and coped gable with cross. North side has 3 splayed C13 lancets. East end has a pair of flanking corner buttresses, 2 setoffs, and 3 grouped chamfered lancets. South side has to west, C13 style double lancet and to its right, C19 doorway in matching style. To right again, 3 C13 lancets similar to north side. All openings have hood moulds. South porch, late C19, in C13 style, has a pair of diagonal buttresses and coped gable with kneelers and cross. Moulded doorway with hood mould and stops. Flanked by single gabled head shoe scrapers. Each side has a mullioned 2 light leaded casement. Interior has 2 wooden benches and principal rafter roof with collars. Inner south door, late C13, with double cove moulding and rebate, has hood mould and mask stops. Pair of late C19 doors. Tower has keystoned round headed doorway with beaded plank door. Tower chamber contains C18 cleft ladder. Nave north arcade, 3 bays, early C13, has 2 round piers and responds with octagonal plinths, moulded round bases and octagonal capitals. Keeled roll moulded round arches and archivolt, hood mould and a mask stop. South arcade, later C13, has a round and an octagonal pier with round responds. Square plinths, moulded round bases and capitals. Octagonal pier has octagonal base. Chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds. C15 roof with cambered tie beams, carved bosses, moulded ridge and purlins. Short wooden wall shafts with carved feet on moulded corbels, carrying straight struts. North aisle has moulded sill band and leaded windows with coved reveals. Elaborate C14 roof with, to west, 2 pairs moulded arch braces with bosses, wall shafts and scissor bracing in spandrels. East end has chamfered span beams, purlin with nailhead, and 3 pairs of wall shafts with struts. South aisle has moulded sill band and windows with coved reveals. South side has to east, restored C13 moulded crocketed aumbry with corbelled piscina. C19 lean-to roof with arch braces with pierced spandrels. Chancel arch, C13, round headed, chamfered and rebated, with uncarved imposts. South side has to east, rebated C13 aumbry, C19 matchboarded scissor braced roof with 2 C15 chamfered span beams. Fittings include font, with C14 square plinth, moulded octagonal base and stem, and octagonal bowl with round headed arcaded panels containing angels' heads, rose, vase of tulips and inscription "Given by Mrs. Constantia Kerchevall Feb:7 1662". C19 cover. Large brass eagle lectern, pierced traceried panelled oak pulpit, moulded panelled oak choir stalls and desks, all C19. Moulded altar rail with ivy leaf iron brackets, linked chairs, C19. 4 late C18 benches with arm rests and flat round finials. Mid C20 panelled benches. Fragment of C15 traceried oak panel. C17 plank chest. C18 panelled chest. Military drum c.1815. 6 late C19 wrought iron pendant lamps. 2 late C19 pendant oil lamps. Monuments include life size C14 female effigy. Royal Arms (George III) 1786. 2 painted commandment boards and 2 similar boards with Lord's Prayer and Creed, all late C18. Slate tablet to Rev. J. Fell, 1804, signed "Wood". Alabaster war memorial tablet with military badges, c.1919. Brass referring to War Memorial clock, 1918. Small incised stone tablet. In porch, scrolled head tablet with angel to Eleanor Kirchevall, (sic) 1695. Slate tablet to John Kerchevall, 1721.
Listing NGR: SK7693641186
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27267
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing