FLINTHAM HALL AND ADJOINING TERRACE WALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- FLINTHAM HALL AND ADJOINING TERRACE WALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272727 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:27:45.
- Statutory Address:
- FLINTHAM HALL AND ADJOINING TERRACE WALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 73839 46104
FLINTHAM FLINTHAM HALL PARK
7/71 Flintham Hall and
Country house. C17, early C18 and 1798. For Col. T. Thoroton. Extended 1820 by Lewis Wyatt. Recased and remodelled 1853-59 by T. C. Hine. For T. B. T. ilildyard Snr. Italianate style. Brick, partly rendered, ashlar, ashlar dressings. Hipped and gabled slate roofs. Plinth, rusticated quoins, moulders string course and cornice, balustrade with urns. 5 ridge, single external gable, single side wall and single ridge stacks. 2 and 3 storeys, 11 bays wide by 3 bays deep. L-plan. Windows are mainly sashes and casements, those to main fronts with eared and shouldered architraves. Ground floor windows have pulvinated friezes and broken swan neck pediments with ball finials. Main west front has central tower porch, 3 stages, with forte cochere. 2 string courses and modillioned upper cornices. First stage has 3 keystoned round headed openings flanked by Ionic columns. Spandrels have various Arms. Half-glazed door has round-paned overlight and moulded round headed surround. Flanked by single projecting traceried Venetian windows with colonettes. Above, tower has on each side a projecting round headed window with swan neck pediment. Above it, a wreathed round window. Flanked by single projecting untraceriedvepetiqq K(qdows. Above them, a pair of shaped lights with bracketed architraves and a round light above and between them. Above again, tower has on each side a double Venetian lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould. Above again, balustraded square stair turret with ornate iron finials and wind vane. On each side, a round headed window with hood mould. South front has to left, 3 storey block with projecting off centre bay and to right, canted turret with 5 windows on each floor. To right, 2 storey library block with projecting central bay. To right again, conservatory with glazed cast iron barrel vault. Main block has off-centre round headed French window with flanking lights and 4 Ionic columns carrying stepped cornice. Flanked to left by 3 and to right by 2 French windows. Library, to right, has mullioned triple round headed casement, flanked by single French windows with segmental pediments. Above, to left, Venetian window with swan necked pediment flanked to left by 3 and to right by 2 sashes. Library has central triple mullioned sashes flanked by single sashes. Above again, to left, pair of shaped casements with bracketed architraves and a round light above and between them. Flanked to left by 3 and to right by 2 sashes. Conservatory, to right, has transomed and mull ioned glazing. South gable has traceried central light with pairs of flanking Ionic columns carrying stepped cornice. Gable has iron fanlight. Return angle has similar columns, cornice and fenestration. East end has to left, conservatory with 3 projecting bays. Each has a transomed round headed window, the lower part blocked. To right, 2 storey service wing, 1798, incorporatinq part of C17 house, with glazing bar sashes with segmental rubbed brick heads. Off-centre late C20 Doric portico flanked to left by a sash and beyond, bay window with 3 sashes. To right, late C20 opening with elliptical head, and beyond 4 sashes. Above, to left, keystoned oval opening flanked by single sashes. To right, 6 sashes. Courtyard side has similar windows. Off-centre opening with elliptical head. To its left, door with segmental head, flanked to left by 2 sashes, and to right by 2 blank openings. To its right, door with segmental head. Above, to left, sash flanked by single blank openings. To right, sash and 3 blank openings. Rear elevation has to left, 2 storey wing, 1798, with glazing bar sashes. Central reeded doorcase with brackets, pediment and overlight, flanked by 2 sashes. Above, 5 taller sashes. To right, 3 storey block has to left, set back bay with round headed French window and flanking lights. To right, projecting bay with French window flanked to left by 4 light round headed casement with iron latticed window. Above it, 2 restored datestones with drawing instruments and builders' tools, inscribed "TCH" and "E & H". To right, a similar French window. Above to left, transomed mullioned casement. To its right, large traceried mullioned stair window. To its right, 2 traceried round headed windows with swan neck pediments. Above again, to left, 3 mullioned casements. To right, 2 pairs of shaped casements with bracketed architraves and a round light above and between them. Interior retains fittings, decoration and furniture of c.1857. Conservatory has to east, 3 recesses containing mirrors, and to north, 2 round-headed recesses, that to left with door. 2 tier round stem marble fountain with scalloped bowls. 8 wire hanging baskets. 4 notable bronze Dorothea Lily wall lamps with parian figures and glass shades. Above, west side has bracketed balcony with canopy and round headed openings. Library has at each end a 3 bay round headed screen with paired Corinthian columns, flanked by single shouldered openings and bookcases. North side has elaborate marble fireplace by McQuoid, 1851, with carved and panelled wooden surround. Overmantel has 3 round headed niches with figures. Flanking cupboards have round headed fretwork doors. Cornice has round headed niches and crest. Gallery has elaborate brackets and wooden balustrade with 4 foliate brass lamps. Fitted bookcases. East end has traceried screen. South side has 3 bay arcade with tracery screen leading to balcony. West end has segmental headed central opening flanked to left by bookcase and to right by round headed opening. Ornate plaster panelled ceiling. 2 large crystal gasoliers. Adjoining Little Library has round headed fireplace with matching overmantel mirror, and fitted bookcases. Modillioned cornice. Oak panelled Dining Room has segmental headed ashlar fireplace with shields in frieze. Family portraits built into panelling. Moulded cornice. Ornate plaster ceiling. Several bedrooms retain decoration and furnishings c.1857. Tower bathroom has porcelain bath in mahogany surround, with brass fittings and shower unit. Former Gun Room has late C17 fireplace with foliate scrolls and modillioned cornice, and above it, roundel with portrait of Sir Robert Hildyard, both from Winestead Hall. Stone cantilevered dogleg principal staircase has octagonal newels, traceried balustrade and panelled dado. Stair window has patterned stained glass. Stone spiral library gallery stair with hanging spherical brass lamp. Dogleg attic stair with ramped handrail and stick balusters. Flintham Hall stands on the site of a much older house bought from the Disney family by Col. Thomas Thoroton in 1789. This house was rebuilt by an unknown architect in 1798, incorporating the earlier parlour wing at the east end. This was linked by a 4 bay single storey range to a 3 storey, 7 bay main block, with its main entrance to the west. The single storey range was enlarged to form a library by Lewis Wyatt for Col. Thomas Thoroton-Hildyard in 1820-1830. The house was remodelled by T. C. Hine for T. B. T. Hildyard Snr. in 1853-59. The builders were East and Hills.
Listing NGR: SK7383946104
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 33 Nottinghamshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing