HOBSTONES COTTAGES AND HOBSTONES FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1272929
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
2 AND 3, HOBSTONES COTTAGES, SMITHY LANE
Statutory Address:
HOBSTONES FARMHOUSE, SMITHY LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272929.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 15:11:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 AND 3, HOBSTONES COTTAGES, SMITHY LANE
Statutory Address:
HOBSTONES FARMHOUSE, SMITHY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Pendle (District Authority)
Parish:
Colne
National Grid Reference:
SD 88195 41695

Details

SD 84 SE 7/111

COLNE (off) SMITHY LANE Hobstones Farmhouse and Nos 2 and 3 Hobstones Cottages

29.1.53

II* Originally a farmhouse and cottage. Now farmhouse and 2 cottages. Early C18 of several dates, but on earlier core. Stone. Stone slate roof, moulded coping, kneelers and square gutter corbels. 2 storeys. Jettied porch on left has doorway with massive lintel and incised datestone S/E E/1700. Moulding continued through lintel and jambs. One 3-light Venetian window. Wider, 2-storeyed projection to right with one 6-light chamfered stone mullion window. Double 3-light Venetian window above. Dated S/E E/1710 in apex. C17 doorway on each floor in return. That on 1st floor, blocked. To left of porch one 3-light window. One 3-light window with wide centre light and one 2-light window above. Middle section: one 3-light and one 4-light window above. Plain doorway. The ground floor and Venetian windows have moulded and returned dripstones. Interior has inglenook and beehive oven at rear. Single storey extension to right not of special interest. Initials are for Edward and Jenet Stephenson. House already divided by 1756. (27/p144/RCHM).

Listing NGR: SD8819541695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186262
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16570/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neil Holliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].