INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING STEPS AND RAILINGS TO STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1273192
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING STEPS AND RAILINGS TO STREET, WALMSGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:30:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING STEPS AND RAILINGS TO STREET, WALMSGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Pendle (District Authority)
Parish:
Barnoldswick
National Grid Reference:
SD 87591 46519

Details

SD 84 NE BARNOLDSWICK WALMSGATE (South side)

1317/3/26 Independent Methodist Church including steps And railings to street

II*

Chapel. Dated 1892. Ornate facade. Gable front with pediment and urn. Symmetrical, 2 central doors with fanlights and segmental heads on pilasters. 4 Corinthian, partially fluted pilasters surmounted by frieze with fleuron decoration and 'Independent Methodist' in relief. Above this a dentilled Renaissance balustrade has urns and a panel containing the date. 2 ground floor windows with segmental heads. 5 arch-headed windows in upper storey, the centre 3 grouped over balustrade. All windows have margin glazing. Cast-iron railings with stone gate piers. Gates are modern. INTERIOR: Oval gallery supported on fluted timber columns with Corinthian capitals. Curved gallery beam with decorative plasterwork to beam soffit, and cantilevered brackets carrying gallery front decorated with blind arcading. Below gallery, to centre of chapel, a full set of fixed curved benches with scroll decoration to the bench ends. Vertical dado boarding with panelled top to side and end walls, and at both ends, half-glazed panelled doors with plasterwork segmental pediments above overflights. Reading desk with turned baluster dogleg stairs to each side, incorporating curved and moulded handrails, and elaborate finials. Lower section of desk is panelled, with segmentally-arched recess. Arcaded upper part with tall metal lampstands to corners. Gallery with full set of curved fixed benches. Organ case with flanking plaster pilasters and doorways to rear stairs. Double-doored vestibules at entrance end lead onto gallery stairs, the doors half-glazed with margin glazing. Coffered panelled ceiling with with decorative plaster cornice and beam soffits. Ribbed plaster decoration to panels, some incorporating pendant finials.

Listing NGR: SD8759146519

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186158
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].