Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LEASOWE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273527.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:35:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 26471 91863



2/46 Leasowe Castle 20.5.52 - II*

House, now hotel and conference centre. Octagonal tower, 1593, for Ferdinando Earl of Derby, 2 turrets added early C17. Altered and extended 1818 by J. Foster Jun. Later extensions mid C19. Stone with slate roofs, wings to north and west are timber framed, that to north with brick ground floor. L-plan, central 3-storey tower has turrets to south and west, south east entrance front, and 2 wings. Entrance front has central 4-storey centre and flanking 3-storey projecting canted bays, top cornice and embattled parapet. Windows have label moulds and most are sashed with glazing bars, some with pointed upper panes or mullions and transoms. Central porch has entrance with 4-centred head, traceried spandrels and label mould; parapet has recumbent lion. Original tower visible from south west. Extra storey added c.1818 has deep corbels to roof on 2 sides; 2-light window with shouldered lintels. Turrets have 3 coped gables with ball finials. 2-light double-chamfered-mullioned windows. Later wing has timber-framed 1st floor with end canted stone turret. North wing of 9 bays and 3 storeys, 2 brick bay windows of 2 storeys and raking dormers. Interior: Entrance has stair with iron balusters recording names of British battles. Original tower has room, formerly cellar, with entrances and recesses, some with Tudor heads; original 1st floor entrance, now within turret, has lintel with legs of Man (the Earls of Derby were Kings of Man). Spiral stair in one turret leads to 2nd floor room with C17 fielded panelling and 4-panel doors with H-L hinges; bed recess.

Listing NGR: SJ2647191863


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05040/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].