CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1273840
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:06:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kemberton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 72918 04523

Details

SJ 70 SW; 4/89

KEMBERTON C.P., HIGH STREET (west side)

Church of St. Andrew

G.V.

II

Parish Church. Nave, chancel, south porch and vestry of 1882 by Joseph Farmer of Kemberton; west tower (on site of C18 tower) 1908 also by Farmer. Sandstone ashlar, plain tiled roofs. Tower. 3 stages with angle buttresses on plinth (date stone 1908 above plinth), west window to bottom stage of 3 lights with unusual leaf-like tracery, square headed window with 2 cusped lights to second stage, 4 paired deeply recessed pointed windows with cusped lights and stiff leaf carving on the finials to the hoodmoulds at the belfry stage; embattled parapet, 8 crocketted pinnacles, external stair turret on north, clock on south. Nave. Buttressed of 3 bays. Decorated tracery to the windows, 2 of which have transoms in the heads, all with hoodmoulds. Chancel. East window of 3 lights with geometrical tracery, two 2-light windows on the south side also with geometrical tracery, all with hoodmoulds, pointed south doorway with stiff leaf carving in the head. Plain gabled south porch (1889) with pointed doorway; vestry with 2-light window in east wall, chimney and external entrance to north. INTERIOR. Tall pointed tower arch; arch-braced roofs to nave and chancel, chancel arch with leaf decoration to the innermost order and stiff leaf carving to the capitals above a low marble screen with brass railings; stained glass in east window, probably of 1882, partly hidden by early C20 reredos. Marble pulpit, font, encaustic tiles (those in chancel depicting hunting scenes') and all fittings are late C19; Royal Arms (George III) over south door. The church is on a medieval site and fragments of a C13 building survived until taken down in c.1781 when a new church was built; only the nave of the church is dedicated to St. Andrew, the chancel being dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Cranage, Vol.I p.22.

Listing NGR: SJ7291804523

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
416990
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 22

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06729/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard N. Johns. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].