FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND WHIELDEN COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1274183
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1958
Statutory Address:
FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND WHIELDEN COTTAGE, WHIELDEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND WHIELDEN COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND WHIELDEN COTTAGE, WHIELDEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Chiltern (District Authority)
Parish:
Amersham
National Grid Reference:
SU 95609 97044

Details

SU 9597 SE 7/192 5134

AMERSHAM, WHIELDEN STREET (west side), Friends' Meeting House and Whielden Cottage

22.12.58

II*

Original house at south end c.1600 extended to 1689 to form a Meeting Room for Friends, who has used the building from about 1660. Extended further north late C18, when the Meeting House was refronted in red brick. Cottage refronted early C19. Old tile roof, hipped at north end, C17 brick stack to cottage, gable on left with 2-light casement door with bracketted hood, 2-light casement on left with segmental arch. Meeting House has 2-fold 6 flush panel doors with delicate astragal mouldings, wooden architrave and flat gauged arch. Two sash windows each side, all with wood cills, segmental arches and panelled shutters with ornamental iron fasteners. Rear elevation has four gabled wings, three weatherboarded, the southern one brick. Interior: Cottage has exposed beams of c.1600. Meeting House is divided into two rooms by a screen with counterweighted shutters. Main room has plain dado panelling, wall benches and a stand, open backed benches with shaped ends. Setting: a large open burial ground on the north and west. Important associations with Quaker history.

Listing NGR: SU9560997044

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415799
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09923/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Bower. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].