CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1274277
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274277.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:00:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
North Cheriton
National Grid Reference:
ST 68726 25826

Details

ST62NE NORTH CHERITON CP

3/76 Church of St. John the Baptist

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish church. C14 origins, largely rebuilt in 1878. Local stone cut and squared with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with finials. 3-cell plan of 2-bay Chancel and 3-bay Nave and North Aisle, with North East organ chamber/ vestry, South Porch and West Tower. Chancel has diagonal corner buttresses with offsets; East window of 3-lights with C15 tracery, set in hollowed recess, with pointed square stopped label; in South wall two 3-light ogee traceried flat headed windows. East window of organ chamber matches that to chancel; in North wall a small arched double door and nearby two C18 memorials set into wall. The nave has similar windows to those of chancel South wall, but not set in hollowed recesses; between them the South porch with plain moulded pointed outer arch and cambered arch inside. North aisle has two 3-light cambered arched windows with C19 tracery, and a matching window in the West wall. The tower in two stages of which at least the lower is of C15 or earlier; diagonal corner buttresses with offsets to full height; string courses, the upper with gargoyles, and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles; stepped pitched roof stair turret on North East corner : stage 1 plain except for 2 small single-light cusped-head windows in the West wall; similar window in West wall stage 2, but C15 style 2-light windows in deep hollowed recesses to North and East walls, and a plainer 2-light window without recess or label on South side. Inside, the wide, pointed chancel arch may be C15, with a squint on the South side, otherwise the chancel is totally C19, with boarded barrel vault ceiling and tooled ashlar walls. Nave arcade in a fussy C16 style detail; the nave and aisle otherwise totally C19. The chancel screen incorporates part of a screen formerly in Pilton Church (possibly 1498-1508); timber panelled pulpit with top frieze of vine foliage dated 1633; font a plain tub, possibly C12, with Jacobean cover; some C20 stained glass in Aisle and nave windows, including South East window of 1959/61 by Easton. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6872625826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415744
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11273/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sue Durant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].