ARCHWAY, FORMERLY TO FARM HILL PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1274282
Date first listed:
01-May-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Jun-1974
Statutory Address:
ARCHWAY, FORMERLY TO FARM HILL PARK, FARMHILL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274282.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 03:08:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARCHWAY, FORMERLY TO FARM HILL PARK, FARMHILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Stroud
National Grid Reference:
SO 83792 05764

Details

882/12/80

STROUD PAGANHILL FARMHILL LANE (West side) ARCHWAY, FORMERLY TO FARM HILL PARK (Formerly listed as: PAGANHILL , ARCHWAY, FORMERLY TO FARM HILL PARK)

01-MAY-1951

II* Archway, standing on west side of Farmhill Lane; formerly entrance to carriage drive of Farmhill Park (built c1784; demolished 1930s). Arch built 1834, or shortly afterwards. Limestone arch flanked by coupled Doric pilasters and crowned with entablature and dentil cornice. Between the arch and cornice on the east side, a rectangular plaque reads: 'Erected to commemorate the abolition / of slavery in the British colonies / The first of August A.D. MDCCCXXXIV.' In the same position on the west side, a plaque reads, 'Dedit deus libertatem detur deo gloria' ('God gave freedom. Glory be to God.') Beside the arch stands a contemporaneous small classical lodge (q.v.)

The arch's original wrought iron gates are now at Doddington Hall.

Restoration work was carried out on the arch in 1961-62, and again in 2001.

HISTORY: The Slavery Abolition Act, passed in 1833, came into force on 1 August 1834, making the ownership of slaves throughout the British colonies illegal.

The Anti-Slavery Arch was built for Henry Wyatt (1793-1847), who bought Farmhill Park in 1833, having been tenant since 1817. Wyatt had begun his life as a clothier, and became a prosperous businessman and magistrate with banking and brewing interests. He was a supporter of the Stroud Anti-Slavery Society, which put pressure on the newly-elected MP, W. H. Hyett, to vote for the abolition of slavery in Parliament.

Since the demolition of Farmhill Park in the 1930s, council housing has been built on the estate, and the arch now marks the approach to a comprehensive school (built 1961) named Archway School.

SOURCES: D. Verey and A. Brooks, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire 1: The Cotswolds (1970, 1999); http://www.anti-slaveryarch.com/ accessed on 8 October 2007; 'The Anti-Slavery Arch', leaflet produced by Stroud Preservation Trust (2003)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Anti-Slavery Arch is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * An extremely unusual monument in the form of a private triumphal arch, celebrating a public victory * The arch is of particular historic interest, having been erected to celebrate the passing the passing of the law emancipating slaves in 1834; it is Britain's oldest anti-slavery memorial. This building was upgraded from Grade II to II* in in 2007, the bicentenary year of the 1807 Abolition Act. * Group value with a small classical lodge of the same date (Farmhill Lodge, listed Grade II)

Listing NGR: SO8379205764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415628
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/14850/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Leaver . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].