SHUTTLEWORTH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1274420
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1953
Statutory Address:
SHUTTLEWORTH HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHUTTLEWORTH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274420.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 01:59:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHUTTLEWORTH HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
Parish:
Hapton
National Grid Reference:
SD 78376 32250

Details

SD 73 SE HAPTON

3/5 Shuttleworth Hall 1.4.1953

GV I

Manor house or large farmhouse, early to mid C17; altered, now 2 dwellings. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins and chamfered plinth, stone slate roof with 2 ridge chimneys, 2 very large external chimney stacks finished with chimneys, and a rear gable chimney. H-plan, with porch in right re-entrant angle. Two-storey hall range with 2½ -storey wings and porch. The porch, which is flush with the right wing, has quoins also at the junction with the wing above ground floor, slightly projecting upper storeys rising from a low 1st floor moulded band, and gable coping with kneelers; at ground floor a flat 4-centred arched outer opening with moulded surround, a similar inner doorway with studded door, and stone side benches; and a 3-light window on each floor above. All windows in the front have ovolo and fillet moulded mullions, and hoodmoulds, and those at the ground and 1st floors of the hall range and wing gables have transoms: 16-light king-mullioned windows in the hall, 12-light windows in the wings, which have 3-light flat-topped ogee-headed attic windows in addition; each wing has an inserted cross window at ground floor, and the re-entrant of the left wing has an inserted door and a 3-light 1st floor window. Elsewhere, all original windows are double-chamfered with hoodmoulds: return wall of left wing has on each floor a 3-light window to the front bay and 4,2 and 4-light windows under one hoodmould towards the rear; return wall of right wing has a very wide projecting chimney bay, on each floor to the rear of this 4 and 3-light windows with linked hoodmoulds; and a blocked firewindow at lst floor forward of the chimney stack, another at its ground floor near the right corner. The right half of the rear gable of this wing breaks out to form a similar chimney stack, with blocked firewindows at ground floor of its right end and 1st floor of its left end, and to the left of this feature is one window on each floor (3,3, and 2 lights); the rear gable of the left wing has 2 windows on each floor including the attic, all of 2 lights except a small single light at 1st floor left; the rear re-entrant of each wing has a 3-light window at 1st floor; and the rear of the hall range has 2 doorways, and two 3-light mullioned windows on each floor, all C19 insertions. Interior: altered, but all principal beams appear to survive, mostly roll-moulded with tongue stops; roof structure: hallpart 2 bays, wings each 3 bays, collar trusses with 2 pairs of windbraced purlins (some windbraces missing). Original fireplaces may survive, but the openings are now concealed. (Reference: VCH Vol.6, pp.510-11).

Listing NGR: SD7837632250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
414836
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 210-511

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].