PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1274447
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WARDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 09:12:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WARDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Southill
National Grid Reference:
TL 14587 42231

Details

TL 1442 SOUTHILL WARDEN ROAD

13/254 Parish Church of All 31.10.66 Saints

GV II*

Parish church. C14 and C15 details, mostly reworked 1814. Coursed ironstone rubble, with dressings in ironstone and limestone, alterations and additions in red brick. Some areas rendered. Chancel, nave, N aisle, S aisle, S porch, tower. Chancel: 3-light C15 E window, 5-light window (also C15) and pointed arched single light to S, all reworked. Blocked pointed-arched doorway to S. Chancel heightened in brick. Adjoining to N is sepulchral vault to the Byng- family, of rendered brick with round-headed doorway to E. C19 chancel arch. Nave: pointed arched 5-bay arcades, with additional half bays to W, apparently C19. Clerestory, in brick, has 4 windows per side, all of 2 lights under 4- centred head, with wood frames. N aisle: 2 5-light C15 windows (reworked), C15 doorway with pointed head, and early C14 pointed-arched 3-light window. Pointed doorway to W end. Doorway to E leading to Byng vault. S aisle: 4 3- light C15 windows, again with reworked tracery. Blocked pointed doorway to E end, blocked pointed-arched window to W end. S porch: gabled, with pointed- arched entrance and angle buttresses. Chancel, nave, aisle and porch all have plain parapets. W tower: C15, 3 stages, with square buttresses to E angles, clasping buttresses to W angles, and embattled parapet in brick. Pairs of 2- light windows to each side of top stage, some small single lights to lower stages. W elevation has pointed arched door with a square head and traceried spandrels, surmounted by 3-light window. Tower arch blocked. Interior: roofs and seating all C19. Font, 1937 by Sir Albert Richardson. Variety of floor and wall monuments. Chancel memorials include floor slabs to John Nodes d.1666, Sir John Kelynge d.1680, and Mary Upwood d.1687. N aisle wall monuments include one of white marble with draped urn to Lucy Waller d.1797, and one of polychrome marble with urn and festoons against an obelisk to John Ringstead d.1738, his wife Ann d.1757, and 5 children. S aisle monuments include a polychrome marble tablet with urn and consoles, to Edward Dilly d.1779, and a grey marble aedicule with broken segmental pediment and foliate apron, to Nathanael Fowler d.1710. Byng vault includes George Viscount Torrington, Rear Admiral of Great Britain, d.1732, and Admiral John Byng, executed 1757.

Listing NGR: TL1458742231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415252
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/04580/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].