CHURCH OF ST HELEN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275170.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 19:48:39.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Ashfield (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 45834 53308
SK 45 SE SELSTON CHURCH LANE
5/68 Church of
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1899 and north aisle
added, 1905. Further restored 1949. Coursed and squared rubble,
ashlar and dressed stone. Gabled slate roofs. Chamfered
plinths, coved eaves, moulded and crenellated parapets, coped
gables with crosses. Single side wall stack. West tower, nave
with clerestory, north aisle, organ chamber, vestry, south aisle,
chancel, memorial chapel, south porch. West tower, late C14, 2
stages, has chamfered and moulded plinth, string course, eaves
band with 4 mask spouts, crenellated parapet with inscription and
Arms of Beauvale Priory. 4 diagonal buttresses, 6 setoffs, those
to east merging with aisles. First stage has to north and south,
a single light. To west, chamfered doorway with hood mould.
Above it, cusped triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould.
Second stage has on each side, double lancet with Y tracery and
hood mould. Nave clerestory has on each side 3 untraceried
double lancets with square headed reveals. North aisle, 4 bays,
has at west end C15 style cusped triple lancet with panel
tracery. North side has 5 buttresses and 4 ogee headed double
lancets with panel tracery and square headed reveals. Re-set
incised stone. Organ chamber, 2 bays, in similar style, has 3
buttresses, and to north, 2 cusped double lancets. To east,
doorway. Buttressed single bay lean-to vestry has to east,
cusped triple lancet with coped parapet above it. Chancel east
end has 2 flanking buttresses and smaller central buttress.
Central pedimented niche. Above it, transomed cusped triple
lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. South side has 2
irregular buttresses and restored C13 double lancet with hood
mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has diagonal buttress to west.
South side has a double and 2 triple C15 style traceried lancets
with hood moulds and square headed reveals. West end has ogee
headed double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. Memorial
chapel in matching style, 2 bays, has buttresses. South side has
2 C13 style double lancets and east end has similar single
lancet, all with hood moulds. South porch, C13, has stone slate
roof with coped gable, kneelers and cross. Chamfered and rebated
doorway with hood mould and imposts. Interior has stone benches
and C19 roof. Round headed keel moulded doorway with triple
flanking shafts. C18 plank door. Tower arch, C13, double
chamfered and rebated, has faceted imposts. Tower chamber has
stained glass west window, 1908. North arcade, C13, 4 bays, has
round piers with seat bases and waterleaf and gargoyle capitals.
Keeled responds with leaf capitals. Single chamfered round
arches. South arcade, 4 bays, has round piers with water holding
bases and moulded capitals. Impost to east and respond to west.
Double chamfered and rebated round arches. Above, remains of
mask corbels. C19 panelled roof. North aisle has arched opening
at east end, containing organ. C19 roof with cambered tie beams
and arch braces. South aisle has similar arch at east end to
Memorial Chapel. C19 lean-to roof. South side has east window
fcby P & Q, late C20. Chancel has C13 arch with shaft imposts.
Above it, C15 style unglazed triple lancet. Each side has 2 bay
arcade with round piers, rebated round arches and various
imposts. East end has sill band and memorial window, 1890,
flanked by single shaped brackets. South side has C19 piscina
with bracket. Panelled roof C19 and C20. Memorial chapel has
sill band and plain lean-to roof. Memorial east window, 1920,
has flanking shafts. South side has memorial window c.1978.
Fittings include C13 font with eggcup bowl and cabled band on C19
base. Wooden lectern, 1887. Openwork oak pulpit on ashlar base,
1916. Benches, 1905. Panelled stalls and desks, mid C20.
Memorials include monument, 1630, to Sir William Willoughby.
Alabaster and ashlar. Chest with arcaded panels carrying 2 full
size reclining figures. Round headed niche with Corinthian
columns carrying stepped hood with crest and Arms. Strapwork
back panel with inscription. Accompanying marble tablet with
rhymed epitaph. Late C16 crested helmet. 2 incised slabs, C12.
Royal Arms, 1815. 2 marble War Memorial tablets c.1920, and
plain memorial tablet, 1945. 3 C19 tablets.
Listing NGR: SK4583453308
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Dunnicliffe, E , The Story of Selston Parish church
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26909
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26908
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26910
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing