OLD TOWN HOUSE (SCAPLENS COURT MUSEUM)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1275378
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
OLD TOWN HOUSE (SCAPLENS COURT MUSEUM), HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275378.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 04:18:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD TOWN HOUSE (SCAPLENS COURT MUSEUM), HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SZ 00879 90359

Details

POOLE

SZ0090SE HIGH STREET 958-1/17/64 (North West side) 14/06/54 Old Town House (Scaplens Court Museum)

GV I

Merchant's house, now museum. Late C15-early C16, NW range added, and NE range late C16; restored 1986. Coursed Purbeck rubble incorporating various other stones, some Bath dressings, later brickwork, and a tiled roof with stone slate verges. L-shaped plan with left-hand wing, now enclosed round a quadrangular courtyard. 2 storeys and cellar; 4-bay range. The SE front has two 4-centre-arched doorways to the right, the inner with moulded surround and the flanking broken ends of a former porch; right-hand one-light window with chamfered surround and a one-light window with moulded surround and iron grille; late C20 left-hand windows with chamfered surrounds and full-height central canted bay with plate glass and lead-hung first-floor apron with date of restoration (1986). A passage from the entrance leads through a 4-centre arch to the courtyard. The SW range has corbelled eaves, a mullioned window, a W gable with stepped kneelers and tripartite first-floor C20 window. NW elevation has a 4-window range with sashes in exposed frames. The courtyard has on the SW side a shield of arms of Poole over the doorway inscribed WP 1554, and 1729; across the SE side is a C20 gallery with steps up to the first floor with a large external stack, on the NW side a 4-centre-arched doorway beneath a relieving arch and blocked window and a 3-light first-floor mullion window, and to the NE side a 4-light mullion window. INTERIOR: the original house contains C15 four-centre-arched fire surrounds to the SE range ground and first floors, and a good fireplace with a large cambered stone lintel in the SW ground-floor, and doorways with 4-centre-arched heads to ridge and batten doors. The SE range has a through passage with a left-hand hall and right-hand store. The SW range has a ground-floor parlour with compartmented ceiling of moulded beams in 9 square bays, the SW room has a surviving fragment of stud partition with laths and lime plaster, and a winder stair in the NE end to a C18 cellar; the roof has principal and secondary trusses with continuous arched braces to the collars, and 4 purlin registers with windbraces to each quarter. NW kitchen range has a late C15 fireplace, and an early C17 first-floor enriched plaster overmantel. C16 NE range has a blind mullion and transom window to the outer first-floor wall, and a collar truss roof with chamfered beams. HISTORICAL NOTE: reputed to have been the former Guildhall, possibly housed the George Inn in the C17, and was the home of John Scaplen in the early C18. Developed from an L-shaped plan into a courtyard plan, and is an outstanding example of a late medieval quayside merchant's house. Full analysis with plan in RCHME. (RCHME: County of Dorset (South East): London: 1970-: 206; Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Newman J: Dorset: London: 1972-: 306).

Listing NGR: SZ0087990359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
412507
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 206
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 306

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09538/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Roberton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].