CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1275603
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275603.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:43:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Plumbland
National Grid Reference:
NY 14153 39223

Details

NY 13 NW PLUMBLAND PARSONBY

12/83 Church of St Cuthbert

3.3.67 G.V. II Parish church. 1871 by J.A. Cory (in partnership with C.J. Ferguson), on medieval site and incorporating some medieval features. Hammer-dressed St Bees and calciferous sandstone with ashlar quoins, buttresses and string course. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 4-bay nave with aisles, north organ chamber and 3-storey tower/porch. 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has 3 gabled dormer clerestory windows and paired-lancet aisle windows. Tower has south doorway, and east side window which is C13 and reused from original church. Chancel has paired lancet windows and traceried east window. Interior: 4-bay north arcade and 3-bay south arcade with pointed arches of alternate red and yellow sandstone on round columns. Re-used zigzag Norman chancel arch. Unsigned late C19 and early C20 stained glass. 1684 wall plaque to Farish family and Reverend Edward Stanley, 1834. Chancel has late C19 stained glass and wall plaques to Ballantine-Dykes family. C19 piscina, the medieval one now in the vestry. Vestry doorway is C13 re-used.

Listing NGR: NY1415339223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
411792
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/11358/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric C. Apperley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].