CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1275717
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:19:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Gilcrux
National Grid Reference:
NY 11734 38176

Details

NY 13 NW GILCRUX GILCRUX

12/59 Church of St Mary

3.3.67 II*

Parish church. Early C12 with late C12 additions, early C14 and C15 alterations. Restoration 1878. Squared blocks of mixed red and St Bees sandstone, with angle buttresses. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 3-bay nave with 2-bay south aisle adjoining porch. West open bellcote of 1724. 2-bay chancel with C19 north vestry. Nave has C13 blocked north door and 2-light windows of 1878. Blank buttressed west wall. Aisle has original 2-light C13 windows and one single light restored in C19. Chancel has blocked priest's doorway and one original lancet. C16 2-light south and east windows. Carved head set in gable. Sundial over porch dated 1836 with inscribed churchwardens' names. Interior has round-arched arcade on circular piers, that to west suggesting the arcade was intended to continue for full length of nave. Aumbry recess in south wall. Very narrow C12 round-headed chancel arch with enlarged squint. Royal arms on north wall dated 1759. C12 cushion font. Medieval grave-slab and cross fragments. Chancel has original splay for north window and aumbry recess. C20 stained-glass east window. Creed and pater boards dated 1832 (one board missing). C20 furnishings and fittings.

Listing NGR: NY1173438176

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
411485
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12288/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric C. Apperley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].