CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1275895
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275895.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:17:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Upper Sapey
National Grid Reference:
SO 68276 63617

Details

1. 1962 UPPER SAPEY UPPER SAPEY Church of ST Michael SO 66 SE 5/538 9.6.67.

B 2. From mid to late C12. Comprises nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Mid to late C12 chancel and nave with C12 north and south doorways. Restored 1859-60 when chancel arch was rebuilt and south porch and west tower with broached truncated pyramid roof and spire were added. C12 chancel arch was re-erected as the tower arch. Pulpit with carving of C17 and C19 by John Kitchen who worked from circa 1860. Four plain early C16 benches made up with C19 work, two early C17 benches with panelled ends. Panelled dado made up of early C17 material. C13 font. RCHM volume II, page 167, plates 5, 12, 15, 67 and 70.

Listing NGR: SO6827663617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410993
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 167

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10154/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].