CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1276550
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276550.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 20:57:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Harborough Magna
National Grid Reference:
SP 47662 79249

Details

HARBOROUGH MAGNA MAIN STREET SP47NE (North side) 7/50 Church of All Saints 06/10/60 - II Church. C14 and C15, much altered C19. Sandstone rubble, squared and coursed, with ashlar tower and dressings. Plain tile roof. Chancel and nave with aisles to north and south, vestry and tower to west. Chancel, rebuilt C19, is of one bay with C19 window to east of 3 lights in geometrical style with hood mould and carved label stops. Adjoining chancel and nave to south a C19 vestry with doorway to east with pointed head. Also to east a 3-light chamfered window with intersecting tracery and hood mould above. To south, a 2-light square-headed window in the Perpendicular style. Plinth to chancel and vestry is brick, with some original stone. Quoins to corners and string course to east end of chancel above window. Nave is of 2 bays. C19 aisle to south has 2 three-light windows with intersecting tracery, hood moulds and label stops, one to right of south wall, the other to west wall. Plinth has base of brick with stone above. North aisle is C14 with one C19 three-light cusped window to centre of north wall. C19 reticulated windows, one to east of 3 lights, the other to west of 2 lights. All windows have hood moulds with label stops. To right of north wall a C14 blocked opening with ogee arch and finial. Aisle rests upon a stone plinth, and has octagonal buttresses to each corner. Nave clerestory has two C19 two-light square-headed windows to north and south. Gables to chancel, aisles and nave are coped. Tower is of 3 stages. Door to west is C19 plank within pointed arch of 2 orders of Early English shafts. Square hood mould with label stops has carved mouchette motifs within spandrels. To south of ground and first stages small stair turret lights. To south, north and west of third stage two-light window with transoms, restored C19. Tower rests upon a plinth of brick with stone above and has a string course above each stage. Top of third stage is castellated and there are diagonal buttresses to each corner rising in diminishing stages to top of third stage. Interior: chancel much restored C19. C19 roundheaded, double chamfered arch into vestry to south, and pointed, double chamfered chancel arch both resting upon moulded corbels. Wood barrel-vaulted roof. 2-bay arcades of nave are double chamfered and rest upon polygonal piers with responds to east and west. Central compound pier in north arcade has carved foliage capital. Supported on corbels a C15 much restored arched brace roof. South aisle has C19 chamfered arch into vestry, which has C19 tie-beam roof. North aisle has blocked c14 arch in north wall. Roof is braced and rests upon corbels. Tower arch in west wall has original C15 polygonal bases to piers, the capital and double chamfered arch replaced Cl9. All C19 stained glass with C19 choirstalls, pulpit and vestry screen, and C20 pews. 3 memorials in chancel walls dated 1712, 1809 and 1844. C19 Perpendicular style font in nave. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.306-307).

Listing NGR: SP4766279249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
409042
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 306-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/13530/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].