CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1276629
Date first listed:
25-May-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276629.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:27:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 04707 11634

Details

SE 0470 1163 CHURCH LANE Marsden 14/77

25.5.66 Church of St Bartholomew

- II

1895. Large Neo-perpendicular church by C Hodgson Fowler. Tower added 1911. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. 4-tier west tower. 5-bay nave with clerestory and lean-to buttressed aisles. 3-bay chancel with lean-to chapel on south side and vestry to north side. South and north porches. Large 3-light traceried aisle windows with similar 2-light windows to clerestory numbering 2 per bay. Large 5-light traceried east window. Large traceried west window. West tower with 4 reducing tiers and reducing angle buttresses. Clock face to 4 sides. Large louvred, traceried bell chamber openings. Crenellated parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Interior: 5-bay arcade to north and south on quatrefoil piers. Tall chancel arch on similar responds. Chancel screen and road loft in well carved oak by J H Gibbons FRIBA of Manchester and London, executed by Messrs Boulton & Co of Cheltenham, dedicated in 1913. Carved oak reveals and painted panel by Hildred Harpin AFICA. Octagonal font with canopy, 1895, restored 1968.

Listing NGR: SE0470711634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406822
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03891/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].