CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1276811
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276811.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 18:21:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ingram
National Park:
NORTHUMBERLAND
National Grid Reference:
NU 01936 16303

Details

NU Ol NW INGRAM INGRAM

12/75 Church of St. Michael

21.9.51 GV 11*

Parish church. Tower Cll and C13. Arcades C13 and C14. Aisles rebuilt 1879. Chancel rebuilt mid C19. Dressed stone, Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel and vestry. Unbuttressed broad, square, west tower. Small C12 window in lower stage, paired lancets in bell stage. Plain parapet. 4-bay nave with lancets;2-bay chancel. East end has 3 stepped lancets with shafts and shaft rings.

Interior: C11 unmoulded tower arch on plain imposts. 3-bay north and south arcades have octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches, those on south side with fleurs de lys at the point of springing. Plain west responds look C11 but with semi-octagonal bases so may be later rebuilding. To east of arcades are stretches of solid wall with concave cornices round 3 sides, and then another bay with similar octagonal responds and arches whose capitals are of C14 type. C14 chancel arch. Lower half of C14 monument to a priest built into chancel north wall. Octagonal font with heraldic panels, leaf forms, geometric patterns and the date, March 11th 1662.

Listing NGR: NU0193616303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237539
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10767/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Ballan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].