THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1276882
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:56:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Graffham
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 92869 16756

Details

SU 91 NW GRAFFHAM THE STREET 18/8 The Parish Church of 18.6.59 St Giles

II Chancel with vestry to north and south chapel, nave with aisles and west tower with broached shingled spire. The two westernmost arches of the nave arcade are C12. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1875 in memory of Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Winchester, who lived at Lavington Park in the adjoining parish of East Lavington from 1845-73. Architect G E Street. The tower was added in 1887. Bishop Wilberforce's brother-in-law, Archdeacon (afterwards Cardinal) Henry Edward Manning was Rector of this parish jointly with East Lavington from 1833-51.

Listing NGR: SU9286916756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
301782
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02376/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M Cleaver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].