CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1277262
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BLANDFORD PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277262.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 18:07:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BLANDFORD PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 42700 49334

Details

NZ 44 NW SEAHAM BLANDFORD PLACE (West side)

4/27 Church of St. John the Evangelist 21.6.50 (Formerly listed as II St. John's Church under Sophia Street)

Parish church. 1835-40 by Thomas Prosser, north aisle added 1860, choir and vicar's vestries added by R.J.Johnson in 1885-6. Dressed limestone with sandstone dressings and moderate-pitched graduated Welsh slate roofs. West tower, aisleless nave and chancel, north aisle, north choir and vicar's vestries. Perpendicular style. Windows have mainly rectilinear tracery with trefoil-headed lights, chamfered reveals, hoodmoulds and alternating jambs.

2-stage west tower has chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses; doorway in south wall under 4-centred-arched head; 3-light ground-floor window in west wall; belfry stage above string course has four louvred openings of 2 lights with pointed heads partly hidden by clock faces; slightly projecting battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. South wall of wide 3-bay nave has chamfered plinth and diagonally- buttressed corners with 2 stepped buttresses between bays; 2-light square-headed windows; low parapet with chamfered and roll-moulded coping. Canted porch in south wall at junction of nave and chancel has doorway with pointed-arched head and small lancet above. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with chamfered plinth and low parapet has two 2-light windows, set high in south wall, with square heads and a stepped buttress between; diagonally-buttressed east end has tall 3-light window with pointed head and string courses above and below. Single-storey, gabled vicar's vestry attached to north of chancel has low 4-light window with square head. 2-storey choir vestry has similar fenestration and door under pointed-arched head. Tall, 4-bay north aisle has double-chamfered plinth, chamfered sill band and four 2-light windows with square heads; gabled returns have chamfered coping and kneelers; steeply-pitched roof.

Interior: Nave has first floor gallery at west end and 3 ranks of C19 pews; panelled roof; north aisle arcade has 4 double-chamfered pointed arches on circular piers. Chancel: 2 steps up to 4-centred, hollow-chamfered chancel arch; roof has 4 hammerbeam trusses with cambered collars. Elaborate stucco and marble monument to 3rd. Marquess of Londonderry, died 1854, has Gothick details and stands against south wall of chancel.

Late C20 addition to north of tower not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ4270049334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407350
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].