CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1277769
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
King's Bromley
National Grid Reference:
SK 12208 17025

Details

SK 11 NW; 7/53

KING'S BROMLEY C.P., CHURCH LANE (north side)

Church of All Saints

27.02.64

GV

I

Parish church. Late C11 nave, early C14 chancel and north aisle, C16 west tower, C19 north vestry and organ chamber. Coursed rubble nave with ashlar dressings, otherwise sandstone ashlar; plain tile and lead-covered roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, three-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, two-bay chancel, and north vestry and organ chamber.

West tower: Three stages marked by strings; diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Four-centred west door with moulded surround, panelled spandrels and hoodmould. Directly above is a 4-centred 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and returned hoodmould. Rectangular loops with chamfered surrounds to third stage. Pointed 3-light belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery. Nave: South wall retains an C11 loop with rounded head to the south and pilaster buttresses to the east. Two early C14 south windows; both of two lights, one with cusped Y-tracery which may replace a doorway (see straight joints below the jambs), and the other with a single reticulation in the head. Four C15 clerestory windows to the south, each of three cinquefoil-headed lights with sunken spandrels. Mid-C19 Tudor Gothic porch with crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles; four-centred entrance flanked by trefoil-headed panels. North aisle: High pitched roof. Pointed windows with Y-tracery. Pointed north door with wave-moulded surround and ogee hood, flanked by small buttresses. Chancel: Pointed side windows with Y-tracery, pointed east window with C19 Perpendicular tracery.

INTERIOR. Early C14 arcade with pointed arches of two chamfered orders and octagonal columns with moulded capitals. C16 tall and pointed tower arch and C14 wide and pointed chancel arch, both of two chamfered orders. Nearly flat nave roof with moulded tie beams, ridge piece and rafters, probably C15, restored 1927, Common-rafter roof with arch-braced collars over the north aisle, possibly C14, but if so it has been interfered with for it now blocks the clerestory windows. A pointed arch between the north aisle, and vestry and organ chamber partly blocks the east window of the north aisle. This comprised 3-lancet lights beneath a larger pointed arch. Remains of a staircase between north aisle and chancel which led to the rood loft. In the chancel a piscina and a small recess, both early C14, both with trefoiled heads. C19 arch-braced collar roof over chancel. FITTINGS: Octagonal stone font inscribed "WH / SM / 1664"; moulded basin and frieze of shields. Oak pulpit inscribed "EC / RM / 1656" but much restored in the C19, octagonal with door and top panels carved with grapes and vine leaves. Brass eagle Lectern of 1903. Screen probably early C16 with tracery of intertwined brances bearing leaves and human heads. C19 Perpendicular-style marble reredos. Stained glass: Chancel north window of 1887 by Morris & Co., depicting St James & St. Paul. C18 glass in the vestry by Francis Eginton. MONUMENTS: Samuel Newton, died 1751 and John Newton, died 1783; a pair of near identical pedimented tablets with urns. Elizabeth Newton, died 1794, sarcophagus. B.o.E. p. 163.

Listing NGR: SK1220617025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
430371
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 163

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02606/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kaz Diller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].