DRINKING FOUNTAIN ATTACHED TO CHURCH WALLS AND RAILING TO CHURCH OF ST MARTIN-IN-THE-FIELDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1277825

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1991

Statutory Address: DRINKING FOUNTAIN ATTACHED TO CHURCH WALLS AND RAILING TO CHURCH OF ST MARTIN-IN-THE-FIELDS, ADELAIDE STREET WC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRINKING FOUNTAIN ATTACHED TO CHURCH WALLS AND RAILING TO CHURCH OF ST MARTIN-IN-THE-FIELDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277825 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:03:00.

Location

Statutory Address: DRINKING FOUNTAIN ATTACHED TO CHURCH WALLS AND RAILING TO CHURCH OF ST MARTIN-IN-THE-FIELDS, ADELAIDE STREET WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30150 80527

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3080 NW 72/205 ADELAIDE STREET, WC2 Drinking fountain attached to Church walls and railing to Church of St Martin-in-the-Fields

II Memorial drinking fountain attached to church walls and railings to Church of St Martin-in-the-Fields. c1886, provided through the Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. Granite. Plain arch of battered base with central round-arched niche for fountain and segmental arched niche for dog bowl at base. Inscription to the memory of William Gilson Humphry, vicar of the parish. Restored and replica bronze lion mash spout installed c1989.

Founded in 1859 the Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain Association (Cattle Trough added 1867) provided free fresh water to many humans and beasts at a time when ale and spirits were easier to obtain than water and most supplies contaminated. The Christian association of water and purity of spirit led evangelical Victorians to become patrons of the Association which provided a catalogue of functional designs but some wealthy patrons used their own.

Listing NGR: TQ3015080527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 430317

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing