CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1277935
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BRAYS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 10:19:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BRAYS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Rocklands
National Grid Reference:
TL 99001 97047

Details

TL 99 NE ROCKLANDS BRAY'S LANE

4/53 16/7/58 Church of St. Peter - I

Parish church. C12 west tower, C15 nave, C20 chancel and details of different dates. Flint built with ashlar dressings, thatched nave, chancel with plain tiles. Round tower of 3 stages, the lower blank. Stair turret to south pierced by slit and trefoil lights with conical roof and stages continuous with tower deliniated by string courses. 4 slit windows to ringing chamber. C14 octagonal belfry with ashlar quoins and 2-light ogeed windows alternating with blind windows under continuous string course. C15 gabled north porch with diagonal buttresses and wave moulded entrance arch with chamfered inner face on circular responds and polygonal capitals. Brick hood mould on labels and other repairs 1624. Central tablet inscribed IEAMS. RAINOR. GEAVE. THIS. GODLI. WORK. 1624. Other inscribed tablets irregularly placed. C20 shouldered parapet. 2 brick round-headed lancets to west and one 4-centred light to east, also 1624. Nave carries west parapet on kneelers with fleuron decoration, 2 3-light C15 panel traceried nave windows under 4 centred arches. Short transeptual extensions to east with 2-light C14 windows in form of cinquefoil lights supporting a cusped spherical triangle. Diagonal buttresses at east. Chancel of 1909. Diagonal buttresses and 5-light east window divided by rising mullions with reticulation in sub arches. Gabled vestry at south west of nave 1908 with 3-light Perpendicular south window. Interior. Tall tower arch with hollow chamfer moulding. Scissor braced roof 1950. Stair turret lit from nave by one slit and 2 trefoil windows and entered through C14 timber door with 3 strap bands under shouldered lintel. Tower screen is fragment of rood with one-light ogee divisions below Perpendicular panelling rising to top rail. Rood screen from Tottington church of 3 one-light ogee bays flanking wider ogee opening. Lights have cusps and crocketed finials rising to top rail and rest on panelled base. Base in 3 bays each side with crocket canopy carved on face of stile. Each bay of 2 cusped and sub-cusped lights supporting petal lozenge under super-arch. Angels and diaper fill spandrels. Rood loft parapet of 12 panelled lights below beam which carries figures of crucified Christ, St. Mary and St. John. 20 benches from Tottington with traceried ends, poppy heads and some animal arm rests, all late C14. Early C17 panelled pulpit with C20 stem and plinth. Front rail before pulpit dated 1631 with frieze of scroll work. Fine mid C14 octagonal font with tracery panels on bowl and encircled quatrefoils on stem.

Listing NGR: TL9900197047

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220215
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07590/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David R. Wickham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].