CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1277948
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277948.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:10:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Bodicote
National Grid Reference:
SP 45993 37683

Details

BODICOTE CHURCH STREET SP4537, SP4637 (West side) 6/194, 7/194 Church of St. John the Baptist 08/12/55

GV II

Church. C13 chancel arch. C14 nave arcades. West tower 1844. Church remodelled 1844 by John Plowman and H.J. Underwood. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, south porch, west tower. Chancel: 4-light Decorated east window has C19 tracery and niche above. C19 pointed arched door, Decorated style windows one with a hoodmould, square headed window to north. Angle buttresses. North and south aisles have C19 Perpendicular style windows and lancets. Moulded parapets. Five 2-light windows to clerestorey. 3- stage C19 west tower; crenellated with finials. Interior: Fragments of medieval glass in north chancel window. C13 chancel arch has semi-circular responds and moulded capitals. 3 bay nave arcades have 2 orders of chamfers. Stained glass: East window by W. Holland of Warwick 1847. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.483).

Listing NGR: SP4599337683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429982
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 483

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11636/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].