LUNDY NORTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1277976

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1991

Statutory Address: LUNDY NORTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LUNDY NORTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 02:52:32.

Location

Statutory Address: LUNDY NORTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SS 13060 48132

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS14NW 1938-0/1/2

LUNDY Lundy North Lighthouse including engine house and accommodation block

II Lighthouse.1897 for Trinity House. Granite rendered and blocked out. Flat roofs behind parapets. Circular light cover connected by built-in passages to single storey square engine house at north (seaward) end and rectangular accommodation block at north end on higher ground level.

Exterior: Squat circular lighthouse tower, tapered and with large moulded cornice with iron balustrade and large lantern with lattice glazing and dome. Small rectangular windows with thick projecting lintels and sills and small tablet bearing Trinity House arms on south side. he doorway is in the built-in passageway on south side which ramps up to single storey accommodation block at higher level with stepped cornice and blocking course which continues around porch at south end. On the opposite, north side a single storey square engine house with similar parapet and semi-circular bay on north end on which a late C20 extension has been built.

Interior: Not inspected.

Note: The North and Lundy South Lighthouse (qv) were built when the Old Lighthouse (qv) was abandoned in 1897, because it was often obscured by fog, being so high above sea level: The North Lighthouse stands only 165ft above high water and cost £45,000 to build. It has been unmanned since 1978 and is controlled from the South Lighthouse.

(Lighthouses, Their Architecture, History and Archaeology: D B Hague and R Christie; Lundy: A and M Langham).

Listing NGR: SS1306048132

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91978

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975)
Langham, A, Langham, M, Lundy, (1970)

End of official listing