PROVIDENCE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1277978
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
PROVIDENCE CHAPEL, CHAPEL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PROVIDENCE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277978.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 00:08:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
PROVIDENCE CHAPEL, CHAPEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Charlwood
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24662 41225

Details

CHAPEL ROAD 1. 5387 (north-west side) Providence Chapel TQ 2441 5/6 II* 2. Erected in 1816 as "Charlwood Union Chapel" but was brought from Horsham and appears to date from circa 1800. One storey weather boarded on brick base. Hipped slate roof with brick chimney, the roof forming a verandah to the south-east elevation supported on 8 wooden columns. Three shuttered windows. Left side 4 panelled door and central 6 panelled door. Central path of Charlwood stone. The interior contains 2 vestries. The minister's vestry has an early C19 fireplace with reeded shelf. The octagonal pulpit at the north-east with pointed arched backboard and the table pew with square splay-sided table and flanking box pews date from the early C19. A most unusual building, more typical of New England than Surrey.

Listing NGR: TQ2466241225

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429874
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16589/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].