CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1278100
Date first listed:
19-May-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278100.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:11:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Barking
National Grid Reference:
TM 09430 52974

Details

BARKING DARMSDEN TM 05 SE

2/33 Church of St. Andrew -

- II

Parish church, 1880, by Herbert Green of Norwich. On the site of a mediaeval church of similar form. In the Decorated Gothic style. Nave, chancel and south porch. Rounded random flints with parapet gables and dressings of limestone. A gabled bellcote of stone surmounts the west gable, with a bell dated 1710, beneath is a rose window and a west doorway. The plaintiled roof has arch-braced collar-beam trusses, alternating with unusual trusses in the form of a trefoil with braces springing from diagonal pendants. Richly carved oak reredos. The two panels with Commandments and Lord's Prayer are probably of C18 or early C19. A good and complete example of a modest High Victorian church with well-designed fixtures and fittings.

Listing NGR: TM0943052974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406588
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/14816/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].