PARBOLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1278311
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
PARBOLD HALL, SPARROW HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:56:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARBOLD HALL, SPARROW HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Parbold
National Grid Reference:
SD 51164 10718

Details

PARBOLD SPARROW HILL SD 51 SW 5/81 Parbold Hall 19-11-1951 II*

Large house. Early-to-mid C18 with C17 remains. Sandstone with hipped slate roof. Centre and 3 right-hand bays of ashlar and of 2 storeys with storey band, dentilled cornice, and blocking course. Windows are sashed with glazing bars and have architraves with stepped keystones. The 3 left-hand bays are of rubble and of 2 storeys with attic. The windows are sashed with glazing bars and have plain reveals. Blocked openings are visible in the stonework, suggesting that the casing of a C17 house in ashlar was not completed. The pedimented centre has a Doric Venetian doorway on the ground floor, the fanlight rising within a pediment. On the 1st floor is an Ionic Venetian window. Carving within the upper pediment includes a camelopard, the crest of Thomas Crisp, the probable builder of the house. Interior: not accessible at time of survey (April 1987) but said to contain panelling, including a garden hall with rusticated dado and Gibbs door surrounds. Fleetwood-Hesketh, P., Murray's Lancashire Architectural Guide, 1955, p.64.

Listing NGR: SD5116410718

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357857
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Lancashire, (1955), 64

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].