CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1278472
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278472.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:09:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burtonwood and Westbrook
National Grid Reference:
SJ 56519 92847

Details

SJ 59 SE BURTONWOOD C.P. CHAPEL LANE

1/7 Church of St Michael and All Angels (Formerly listed as Church of 9/8/1966 St Michael)

II

Church, founded 1606, rebuilt 1716, south aisle by E.J.Dod added 1939. Stone-dressed brick with grey slate roof to nave, copper to aisle. West tower, simple nave, south aisle, small apsidal chancel. 3-stage tower has circular windows to lower stage, clock and round-arched bell-openings, simple cornice with ball-finials and ornate weather-vane, south porch against tower has keystone inscribed Built 1716, rebuilt [porch only] 1939. Nave of 5 bays has round-headed Y-tracery windows to north. South aisle has similar windows with 2-light square-headed windows to clerestorey. 2 round-arched windows to chancel. Interior. Tuscan south arcade of 1939 by Dod: simple round chancel-arch; hammer-beam nave trusses have iron rods for tension members. C20 armigerous glass; fragments of C17 church are preserved in apse. When inspected (1984) the church was undergoing major repair and strengthening, having been damaged by coal-mining subsidence.

Listing NGR: SJ5651992847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405597
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01672/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Marcus Osborne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].