CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1278722
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, STANNINGFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278722.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 19:44:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, STANNINGFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Whelnetham
National Grid Reference:
TL 87813 59343

Details

TL 85 NE GT. WELNETHAM STANNINGFIELD ROAD

5/109 Church of St Thomas a Becket 14.7.55

I

Church, mediaeval, altered 1839 and 1883. Nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, north vestry. Rough-cast rendered flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs to nave and south porch, slated roofs to chancel, aisle and vestry. The chancel has C13 work; 3 lancets in the north wall, simple double-bowl piscina, and triple-arched sedilia with shafts having moulded capitals and bases, a dado moulding on north and south walls. The nave possibly rebuilt early C14; the west parapet gable has ball-flower carving to the kneelers and quatrefoil west window; north (blocked) and south doorways have simple mouldings and rear segmental arch with hoodmould, the counterboarded south door possibly original; south 2-light window and double bowl piscina; north arcade of 2 bays, with octagonal piers having moulded capital and base (the north aisle demolished before 1829 and rebuilt 1839). The south chancel doorway inserted early C14. 2 2-light windows inserted into chancel south wall C15. The nave clerestory formed and roof rebuilt c.1500, with principal rafters, butt purlins, arch-braced collars and wall-pieces; clerestory windows of one light, rendered. Simple timber-framed south porch added c.1500, with coupled rafter roof; also chancel 4-light east, and 2-light south windows. The ceiled coupled rafter roof to chancel possibly mediaeval. Weatherboarded belfry added to west end of nave roof 1749, with slated pyramid roof, modillion eaves and weathervane, "at the cost of James Merest". During alterations of 1839, a probably C12 chancel arch with later sidelights was replaced by a large unmoulded arch; a C14 stone tracery panel was taken from the north sidelight and reset as a window in the porch wall. Some stone cusping, c.1300, now reset in the C15 clerestory windows. C15 octagonal limestone font with traceried panels on bowl. A moulded C16 oak door reused and repaired for C19 vestry. C20 octagonal pulpit has some reused carved C16 panels. A window in the south chancel wall is filled with mediaeval glass of several dates, reset at random; fragments of similar glass reset in other windows. 3 mural tablets in the chancel: to Richard Gipps, d.1660; to Charles and Elizabeth Battely, d. 1722 and 1752; to Revd. Thomas Lord, d.1788.

Listing NGR: TL8781359343

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404984
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08224/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Gateshill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].