BROWN KNOWL METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1278774
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
BROWN KNOWL METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, SHERRINGTON'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROWN KNOWL METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278774.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:47:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROWN KNOWL METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, SHERRINGTON'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Broxton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49542 53556

Details

SJ 45 SE BROXTON C.P. SHERRINGTON'S LANE (West Side)

8/29 Brown Knowl Methodist Church and attached Sunday School

GV II

Methodist Church, 1913, of stone-dressed red-brown brick with pebble dashed gables and graded grey slate roofs. The Church and Sunday School form an L, with tower and vestry in its angle. In Perpendicular manner. The Church has a 5-light (ritual) west window facing road - 3 lights under a square head flanked each side by a lower pointed-arched light. The schoolroom (left) has a 6-light window in end gable, in a camber-arched recess with ogee hoodmould. Three 3-light trefoil-headed windows are in (ritual) south side of Church. The crenellated tower has traceried pebbledash panels in place of bell-openings. Double doors of oak. Mid C20 flat-roofed extension at rear. Interior: The church of 4 bays has arch-braced trusses and contemporary furnishings. Church, schoolroom and vestry are designed to communicate (for joint use) through pointed archways with folding doors. The church was built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel, near the site of one (demolished) erected in 1836, of which the datestone is in the rear gable of the present building. The site is associated with, and the burial place of, John Wedgwood (tomb q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ4954253556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404748
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06625/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].