BOLESWORTH CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1278804

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: BOLESWORTH CASTLE, BOLESWORTH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOLESWORTH CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:05:36.

Location

Statutory Address: BOLESWORTH CASTLE, BOLESWORTH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Broxton

National Grid Reference: SJ 49503 55988

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 NE BROXTON C.P. BOLESWORTH LANE

5/16 Bolesworth Castle

4/1/1984 (formerly listed under GV II* Bolesworth Castle Park)

Castellated house 1829, by William Cole (his principal work) for G.Walmesley, the interior partly reworked by Clough Williams Ellis for G.Barbour in 1920-3. Ashlar sandstone. 2 storeys with turretted centrepiece of 3 storeys. Plinth, band at 1st floor, battlements. Wide canted 2-storey bays at centre and right end; round bay at left, beyond which is single-storey wing ending in an octagonal 2-storey turret. 3 windows in each projecting bay, 2 between. Cross casements (bars removed from lower storey and some from upper) under labels. Clough Williams Ellis partly classicized the right end (not visible from front) with round-headed French windows to lower storey and balustrade in place of battlements. A Gothic archway over the rear drive links the house to the sandstone cliff behind. Interior: 3 front rooms, with Gothick doorways and plaster ceilings are substantially William Cole's (some details damaged). Behind them is a central open-well stair with cantilevered stone steps, iron balusters and mahogany rail and round-arched openings to corridors upstairs; a small circular glazed dome over. Right of the stair is Clough Williams Ellis's galleried classical hall with pilasters, frieze, oval ceiling panel and statue of Diana with hound, in niche. 6-panel doors in shoulder-arched openings with panelled reveals.

Listing NGR: SJ4950355988

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 404734

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing