GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1278812

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL, MEETING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:24:10.

Location

Statutory Address: GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL, MEETING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood (District Authority)

Parish: Quorndon

National Grid Reference: SK 55790 16215

Details

QUORN

SK 51 NE MEETING STREET (South Side) 3/79 1.6.66 General Baptist Chapel

II

Baptist Chapel. Dated 1770 and early C20. Red brick and plain tile and Swithland slate roofs with a brick left end truncated stack, rear stack and metal central louvre stack to Chapel. 3 ranges, chapel to left, former Sunday School set back in centre, and early C20 extension, with hipped roof to right. Chapel of 2 storeys of 3 leaded light windows with cambered lintels : 2-light, 3-light, 2-light. Tablet under central window inscribed "General Baptist Chapel MDCCLXX'. Below is a large C20 porch. On right end a 3-light with 2-light over. Central range of 3 storeys of 3 3-light windows with cambered lintels. Range to right of 1 storey of leaded light windows with mullions and transoms : a 5-light to front and 2 2-lights on left side. Lean-to on right end. Interior has original gallery with panelled front on iron posts. 2 wooden Doric pillars support roof. These were inserted when the Chapel was extended in 1825, and were hand-turned in the Churchyard outside. Wall tablet to Rev. Benjamin Pollard, 1818.

Listing NGR: SK5579016215

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 404688

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing