GREENLAWS (FORMER PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1278815
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
GREENLAWS (FORMER PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL), A689

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREENLAWS (FORMER PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278815.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Apr-2020 at 09:18:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREENLAWS (FORMER PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL), A689

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanhope
National Grid Reference:
NY 84223 41717

Details

STANHOPE A689 (North side) NY 84 SW Lanehead 8/115 Greenlaws (Former Primitive Methodist Chapel) II

Primitive Methodist chapel and extension, now house. Dated 1858 (rebuilding of 1824 chapel) on panel over porch; extension late C19 as memorial to Jonathon and Oliver Humble, given by their family. Painted incised stucco chapel: extension coursed squared stone with painted ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with stone spirelet. One-storey, 3-bay chapel and one-storey, one-bay right extension. Central gabled porch contains renewed door and fanlight in keyed round arch on pilasters, gable coping with roll finial. Recessed date panel above. Flanking round-headed windows, with renewed glazing bars, have projecting stone sills. Lower extension, set back slightly, has side steps to half-glazed door with thin stone lintel; similar lintel and projecting stone sill to fixed light at right. Stone gutter brackets. Chapel has left end spirelet on corbelled small square corniced turret; blind trefoil on each face; broach spire has cushion-moulded top with spiral-and-leaf wrought iron finial.

Listing NGR: NY8422341717

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404852
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10964/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].