CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1278838
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 17:08:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burwardsley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 51550 56505

Details

SJ 55 NW BURWARDSLEY C.P. SCHOOL LANE (North Side)

6/37 Church of St.John

II

Church: early Cl7, buttress dated 1730, restoration dated 1795. c.1885 bell turret, chancel and vestry. Ashlar buff sandstone and Welsh slate roof. 3-bay nave, l-bay chancel and side chapel, south porch. Coped gabled porch has semi-circular headed entrance with chamfered segmental doorcase behind. Bays of nave divided by buttresses and have 2 or 4-light mullioned windows with arch-headed lights. East window has 3 round-headed lights, (the central one taller) under semi-circular label mould. Simple west window with Y-tracery. Inscription underneath reads "In the Year 1795 this chapel was put in perfect repair by the Revd. John Price the then Incumbent thereof." Bell turret with pyramidal,roof on ridge. Interior: Simple with C19 fittings. Rebated chancel arch to raised chancel, roof trusses on stone corbels, good small organ of c.1820.

Listing NGR: SJ5155056505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404756
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06624/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].