CHURCH OF ST CLARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1279340
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CLARE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CLARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279340.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 18:00:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CLARE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradfield St. Clare
National Grid Reference:
TL 90955 57800

Details

TL 95 NW BRADFIELD ST.CLARE CHURCH ROAD

6/18 Church of St.Clare

14.7.55

II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1873. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint and limestone rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs. Late C14 north doorway (blocked C19), south doorway with stoup to right and south nave window. Late C15 work in chancel includes: piscina, south doorway, broad chancel arch, 2-light north and south windows, 4-light east window with hood- moulded 2-centred head; 2-bay roof with principal rafters, arch-braced collars, moulded purlins, crenellated cornice, and some fragments of tracery above the collars. Late C15 2-light nave windows. C15 3-stage tower with 2-light west window, crenellated parapets and 2-light belfry openings. Alterations 1873 include repairs to south porch of knapped flint with limestone dressings and parapet-gabled plaintiled roof; new nave roof, of crownpost type, re-using one C15 moulded crownpost; octagonal limestone font in Perpendicular style; choirstalls reusing 3 C16 poppyhead ends; reredos, lectern, pulpit and pews. Some sub-mediaeval clear leaded glazing in various shades; one nave window also has fragments of mediaeval stained glass in tracery. Marble-framed slate wall tablet in the chancel to Richard Grandorge, rector, (died 1619) and his 2 wives and son and daughter.

Listing NGR: TL9095557800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403621
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16076/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].