STRETTON MILL AND STEPS, MILLRACE AND SLUICE ADJOINING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1279423
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1972
Statutory Address:
STRETTON MILL AND STEPS, MILLRACE AND SLUICE ADJOINING, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STRETTON MILL AND STEPS, MILLRACE AND SLUICE ADJOINING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 07:01:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
STRETTON MILL AND STEPS, MILLRACE AND SLUICE ADJOINING, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stretton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 45450 53014

Details

SJ 45 SE STRETTON C.P. MILL LANE South Side

3/46 Stretton Mill and steps, millrace and sluice adjoining

18/7/72

GV II*

Water-powered cornmill C16 and C17, extended C18 and C19. Weatherboarded oak frame and coursed red sandstone with brown brick leanto extension and chimney of stone and brick at rear; graded grey slate roof, stone plinth and stone replacement as part of the walls of the older (right) part of the mill. C19 extension, left, of stone. 2 storeys plus attic grain store. External overshot wheel of timber on right gable wall. Divided boarded door of oak. 1 leaded casement and 1 iron-barred opening to lower storey and 3 leaded casements to upper storey at front; 1 leaded casement to upper storey and to attic in west gable; all have oak shutters on wrought iron hinges. East gable end has camber-arched barred opening to the internal wheel-pit with an oak boarded loading-door above flanked by small leaded and shuttered casements. 2 leaded, shuttered casements in C18 leanto at rear, and boarded door. The chimney of stone has a diagonal flue of brick; the stonework bears carved initials and dates: IHM 1763; JOHN HUGHES; GD; HB; ?W 17?? Bargeboards; eaves have exposed rafters. Adjoining east gable wall is a flight of stone steps up mill dam, and a stone-walled millrace with sluice. Interior contains a breastwheel in C19 extension, left, driving a complete train of mid-Victorian largely cast iron machinery, and (right) a train of restored largely C18 wooden machinery driven by the external wheel. On lower storey at rear is a forge-hearth. On upper floor (reached by steep stair left of entrance) are the underdrift millstones, ancillary equipment and hoist-hatch. In the leanto extension are carved on east side of chimney: PB; IR; IMO; 1640; EW(?); PB 1712. Grain loft (access by ladder) in older (right) part of main building contains 2 diagonal-strut oak trusses with windbraces, chamfered oak purlins and diagonally set ridge-piece. The oak frame and kingpost truss of the former left gable (now between the older part and the C19 extension of the mill) survives. The mill machinery (restored by Dr Cyril Boucher partly at the expense of the Science Museum, in 1967) is of national importance. J H Norris The Water-powered Cornmills of Cheshire, O J P Bott Cornmill Sites in Cheshire Parts 2 & 3, Cheshire History Nos.11 and 13. . . .

Listing NGR: SJ4545053014

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403423
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Norris, J H, The Waterpowered Cornmills of Cheshire, (1970)
'Cheshire History' in Spring, (1984)
'Cheshire History' in Summer, , Vol. 11, (1983), 52-65

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01774/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].