CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1279600
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, IRVINE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:04:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, IRVINE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 36522 90397

Details

SJ 3690 IRVINE STREET L7

28/666 Church of Saint Mary 14.3.75 G.V. II

Church. 1812-13. Brick with stone dressing, slate roof. Nave of 2 storeys and 5 bays, west tower, 2 porches of 2 storeys in the angles between nave and tower. Canted chancel apse with low flanking chapels, flat band over ground floor; top cornice and castellated parapets and gables. Tower has added west porch; 3-face clock with diamond faces; bell stage has 2-light plate-traceried openings; top cornice and castellated parapet. Windows have architraves with roll mouldings and 3-light fixed casements with intersecting tracery. East window of 5-lights with Perpendicular stone tracery, similar window to north of nave. Rainwater heads dated 1812 and 1824. Interior has gallery on 3 sides, supported on slender iron columns; western bay now partitioned off. Chancel apse has flat ceiling with triangle amid rays. Wall monument on north wall of chancel to E. Mason (died 1811). 2 stained glass windows by W. Morris, 1870's, on north side of nave. Porches have stairs to gallery.

Listing NGR: SJ3652290397

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
214343
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06044/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Pye. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].