ENTRANCE GATEWAY AND PAVILIONS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1279736
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
ENTRANCE GATEWAY AND PAVILIONS, HARTLEY AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENTRANCE GATEWAY AND PAVILIONS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 00:21:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENTRANCE GATEWAY AND PAVILIONS, HARTLEY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 36845 96488

Details

SJ 3696 HARTLEY AVENUE L9

13/584 Entrance Gate- way and pavilions (formerly listed as Hartley's Jam Factory (oldest part only) 14.3.75 with entrance gateway)

G.V. II

Entrance gateway and pavilions, dated 1886. Brick and stone. Round-headed entrance of rusticated stone has coved surround and foliated keystone flanked by roundels. Lombard frieze and cornice above with stone plaque inscribed: "W.P.HARTLEY'; segmental pediment over has date. Flanking round turrets have battered bases, slits, Lombard frieze and cornice. Flanking pavilions of 3 bays, central bays break forward under segmental pediments. Weathered bases, pilaster strips and corbelled parapet with coping, urns to angles. Round-headed windows. Entrances have flanking paired pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Round-headed windows, that to east has diapered panel. Western building has extra recessed bay to left with elliptical headed window. Return of 4 bays with paired windows. Eastern building has paired windows and projecting 2-bay brick and terracotta extension of 1892, central buttress with date cartouche under pediment and chimney over. Return of 5 bays, 1st 4 have paired windows, end bay breaks forward.

Listing NGR: SJ3684596488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
214248
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06583/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].