TURNIP LOCK, HADLEY PARK LOCK AND ADJOINING BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1279751
Date first listed:
08-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
HADLEY PARK LOCK AND ADJOINING BRIDGE, HADLEY PARK LANE
Statutory Address:
TURNIP LOCK, HADLEY PARK LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279751.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:59:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
HADLEY PARK LOCK AND ADJOINING BRIDGE, HADLEY PARK LANE
Statutory Address:
TURNIP LOCK, HADLEY PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hadley & Leegomery
National Grid Reference:
SJ6720013308

Details

1. 5362 SJ 61 SE 28/261

HORTONWOOD HADLEY CASTLE Hadley Park Lane Turnip Lock, Hadley Park Lock and adjoining bridge

II

2. Circa 1796. Two locks of the disused Shrewsbury Canal which was begun in 1793 by Joseph Clowes. Clowes died in 1795 and was replaced by Thomas Telford as chief engineer. The canal was completed in 1796. Features of interest on the canal include Telford's cast-iron aqueduct at Longdon-on-Tern, the inclined plane at Trench and these locks also designed by Telford, with guillotine gates. Hadley Park lock and Turnip lock are the only locks on the canal to retain their original mechanism. Including the adjoining bridge to the north of Hadley Park lock; small brick round arched road bridge with parapets with stone coping, much restored in C19.

Listing NGR: SJ6720013308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362126
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13779/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Liston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].