THE BEDE MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1279882
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
THE BEDE MEMORIAL, WHITBURN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BEDE MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:47:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BEDE MEMORIAL, WHITBURN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 40672 59318

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ45NW WHITBURN ROAD 920-1/5/246 (East side) 08/05/50 The Bede Memorial (Formerly Listed as: WHITBURN BENTS ROAD (East side) The Bede Memorial)

GV II

Formerly known as: Bede Memorial Cross, Cliff Park WHITBURN ROAD. Memorial cross. 1904. Signed `GW Millburn York Sculpt' and `CC Hodges, Hexham, inv. et direx.' Granite. Saxon style. Tall tapered shaft. Dedication to Bede and Eadfrith, and extracts from Bede's writing, on W. Interlace pattern and low-relief carved scenes from Bede's life on E. Vine pattern and northern saints, with runic inscription, on N. Inhabited vine and inscription in uncials on S. Hodges was the excavator of Hexham Abbey. A later inscription records that the cross was removed in 1914 and restored to this site in 1921.

Listing NGR: NZ4067259318

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391654
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01230/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.G. Carroll. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].