CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1280303
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOCKTON TO LEVISHAM ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280303.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 10:18:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOCKTON TO LEVISHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Levisham
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
SE 83242 90030

Details

LEVISHAM LOCKTON TO LEVISHAM LANE SE 89 SW (south side, off) 3/48 Church of Saint Mary 10.11.53 - II * Church. C11 chancel; nave refaced and part of chancel rebuilt C19; C19 vestry and tower of 1897. Dressed limestone on plinth; ashlar quoins to tower; nave roof of stone flags; chancel and vestry roof of pantiles. West tower; 4-bay nave; chancel and north vestry. 2-stage embattled tower on chamfered plinth has paired louvered bell openings to all faces. 3-light Perpendicular style west window beneath corbelled hood-mould with commemorative plaque below. South doorway to left of 2 pairs of trefoil- headed windows, all rebuilt. Single original lancet to chancel. Nave north wall has dwarf buttresses at each end flanking 2 pairs of rebuilt windows. Triple lancet to east end. Several fragments of carved stone said to be pre-conquest are built into the chancel south wall, and the west face of the tower. Coped gables. Interior: C11 chancel arch with square responds and imposts chamfered on lower edge. Pointed piscina in south wall of chancel, restored in C19. C19 tower arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner one corbelled. Church redundant at the time of resurvey, and other interior fittings have been removed. The church, in its isolated position, is a remarkable survival of the medieval village of Levisham which is said to have disappeared at the time of the Black Death.

Listing NGR: SE8324290030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
329666
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/04361/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].