OLD LOWER LIGHTHOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND COASTGUARD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1280466
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
OLD LOWER LIGHTHOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND COASTGUARD HOUSE, PORTLAND BILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD LOWER LIGHTHOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND COASTGUARD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:04:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD LOWER LIGHTHOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND COASTGUARD HOUSE, PORTLAND BILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 68117 68973

Details

PORTLAND

SY67NE PORTLAND BILL ROAD, Portland Bill 969-1/1/164 (South East side) 21/09/78 Old Lower Lighthouse, with boundary walls and Coastguard House

II

Lighthouse and house with bird observatory. 1869, modified 1960. Rendered and painted, slate roofs. Slender tapered cylindrical tower, lantern top; domestic block to northeast, linked by flat-roofed one- storey annular extension of c 1960. Tower has various openings, 2-light casements set in deep reveals under cambered projecting lintels and plain cills, crowned by bold cornice carrying cast-iron balustrade with heavy posts and three plain rails to balcony around lantern. Single- storey extension has C20 steel casements. Domestic block in two storeys with original 3-window unit and a slightly smaller and lower unit added, left. Twelve-pane sashes; central gabled porch, coped verges to bold kneelers, boldly modelled linked triple stack to left gable, and double stack to ridge, right of entrance. Extension also with gable stack to left. First lighthouse here built 1716, replaced 1789, and again in 1869. Decommissioned 1906 with opening of New Lighthouse (qv); at this time the commemmorative plaque of 1789 removed to the New Lighthouse. Since 1962 used by RSPB for bird observatory. Used in conjunction with the Old Higher Lighthouse (qv). Subsidiary Features: enclosed in rubble boundary wall to half-round oversailing copings and a set-back quadrant at entry on the north side, with pair of square piers to pyramidal cappings. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 253).

Listing NGR: SY6811768973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382000
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 253

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05395/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].