NEW PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1280486
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
NEW PLACE, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:03:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEW PLACE, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Lingfield
National Grid Reference:
TQ 39286 43745

Details

TQ 34SE LINGFIELD C.P. STATION ROAD

9/247 New Place 11/6/58 GV II*

House. Dated 1617 in gable over entrance, restored in 1920's by John Hopkins. Horsham stone ashlar with Horsham slab roofs. Red and blue brick stacks, placed diagonally to left of centre and on right hand wing. L shaped plan with gabled Lower wing projecting to right; courtyard formed in the re-entrant angle. 2 storeys and attics in gables with spherical finials on apex and sides of gables. 2 gabled bays to left with flat one bay extension to left, entrance bay in re-entrant angle with wing, parapet to roofs. 3-light stone mullioned attic windows under label mouldings, 4-light mullion and transomed window to first floor left, 5-light to right and one 2-light window in re-entrant angle. One 3-light and one 4-light window on ground floor of wing to right. Arched ribbed and studded door on diagonal across the angle in an elaborate stone surround with guoillche and egg and dart mouldings. Foliage decoration in spandrels frieze with dentilled cornice hood over supported by fluted pseudo-boric pilasters; crowning spherical finials. Garden front:- 2 gabled bays with stone mullion and transomed windows under flat label hoods. 3-light windows to attic, 4-light on first floor left, 5-light to first floor right. End pier to right with'scroll moulded top. Gabled bay set back to right and flat roof. Late C19 early C20 single storey extension to right.

Interior:- Former features of interest such as newel post carvings and panelling removed by former owner.

'V.C.H, Surrey, VOL. ii) pp.463,480. VOL. iv) p.304 PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.350.

Listing NGR: TQ3928643745

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287488
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1905), 463 480
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1912), 304
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 350

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]cEngland.org.uk.