This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1280498



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Portland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 381998

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SY67NE PORTLAND BILL ROAD, Portland Bill 969-1/1/162 (South side) New Lighthouse with boundary walls


Lighthouse with coastguard accommodation. Opened January 11th 1906, (report in Weymouth Telegram, 12.01.06), built by Wakeham Brothers of Plymouth, at cost of ยป13,000. Painted render; flat roof to coastguard house assumed asphaltic. Lofty (35m)tapered shaft to heavy moulded cornice carrying cylindrical domed lantern set to balcony with cast-iron balustrade in 12 bays; heavy moulded posts and three plain rails. Various openings in five stages, deep-set 2-light casements to cambered raised lintels and heavy stooled cills. Trinity House badge set to south face; entrance door on NW side. Single-storey link to flat-roofed coastguard house in two storeys, 4 x 3 bays, mainly two light casements with transom, to stooled cills. In second bay from south each side a projecting square flat-roofed porch with part glazed doors; entry also in low link adjoining tower. Single-storey wing full width north end. All set to plinth, and with heavy moulded cornice; four large stacks with heavy cappings set in on flat roof. Subsidiary Features: enclosed by rubble wall, painted externally, half-cylindrical coping, c 1.5m high, with pairs of square gate piers to heavy pyramidal cappings and wooden gates on east and west facing link block. Similar walls centrally back to house from each of four sides. Service building in south east corner has cast-iron ventilator grilles. This new lighthouse replaced the former Old Higher and Old Lower Lighthouses (qqv). It is a complete group, and an important complement historically to the two earlier buildings. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 253).

Listing NGR: SY6773768376

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 253
'Weymouth Telegraph' in 12 January, (1906)

National Grid Reference: SY 67737 68376


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 03:35:43.

End of official listing