SPENSER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1280543
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
SPENSER HOUSE, HURSTWOOD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280543.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:06:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
SPENSER HOUSE, HURSTWOOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
Parish:
Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood
National Grid Reference:
SD 88085 31352

Details

SD 83 SE WORSTHORNE WITH HURSTWOOD HURSTWOOD 3/53 Spenser House 1.4.52 GV II*

Farmhouse, now house. Probably mid-C16, altered. Large sandstone blocks brought to courses, with quoins, stone slate roof. H-plan facing south: hall with 2-bay crosswings. Now all 2 storeys, but formerly with central open hall; at left end of hall a low 2-storey porch under carried-down roof of shallow pitch, with wide chamfered outer doorway, a 3-light window above with round-headed lights and hollow spandrels, chamfered inner doorway, and in right hand wall a small arched doorway and a small window above (both blocked, visible internally); hall has two slightly-recessed windows of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, and above there a large gable with a window to light the inserted upper floor (3 lights with chamfered flush mullions); gable of west wing has an altered 3-light window on each floor; gable of east wing has a 3-light window on each floor, the lower with chamfered flush mullions and the upper with round-headed lights like those in the hall. A ridge chimney on each wing. Rear of hall has a gable in line with that in front, with an apex chimney, various altered openings, and large added outshut, overlapping left wing and hall, with catslide roof and tall chimney at the rear. Left return wall of west wing has a 2-light mullioned window with lintel inscribed "DAIRY". Interior: coupled triangular-headed chamfered doorways into west wing; in front bay of this wing a large rectangular fireplace with moulded surround, compartmented ceiling formed by 4 major and 4 minor beams, all chamfered; stone flagged ceiling to rear bay of this wing (and vaulted cellar below); separated triangular-headed chamfered doorways from hall into east wing; early C17 inserted partition wall at lower end of hall, with chamfered segmental-headed doorway; some early C17 moulded plaster decoration in hall including original surround to head of this door, and between the beams at the opposite end a foliated pattern with little winged figures in the corners; king post roof trusses with angle struts, and arch-braced open trusses in wings. Reference RCHM pp. 174-5 et passim,

Listing NGR: SD8808531352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184057
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 174-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11812/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].